Gorgeous Orange Sugar Cookies
If you are a sugar cookie lover, then this simple recipe is for you. Very frequently sugar cookie recipes have grated orange zest or fresh lemon juice added for a hint of flavor. Well, with our delicious orange sugar, you don’t need to grate or squeeze anything! The all natural orange flavor that is infused into the sugar brings these cookies to life. You can even see the orange pieces baked into the cookie! So forget boring sugar cookies and their lackluster taste and try this recipe for a fantastic new cookie that you will master in no time.
- 1 1/2 cups butter (340 grams)
- 2 cups The Sugar Tree Orange Sugar (400 grams)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flour (640 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and orange sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula a few times to ensure that the butter is all incorporated in the mix.
- Add the eggs to the butter mix one at a time. Scrape down the bowl after each egg addition to really combine all the ingredients.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and mix until a smooth batter forms, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Once chilled, remove the dough from the plastic wrap and roll on a floured surface. Roll the dough to about 1/4 of an inch thick and then use any shaped cookie cutter you'd like to cut out the cookies.
- Place the cookies on a parchment, foil or silpat lined sheet tray.
- Bake in a 200 ̊C oven for about 8 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just begin to turn brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Decorate however you would like or simply enjoy them plain for a total buttery, orange flavour.
This recipe makes a very soft dough for rolling but that is part of the reason they taste so good! To make rolling the dough easy, make sure to use a good amount of flour to prevent it from sticking to the work surface. Also, do not let the dough get too warm as this will make it very soft and hard to roll. Work in batches and only roll about 1/3 of the dough at a time while keeping the rest in the fridge.
Try adding orange extract rather than vanilla to really boost the orange flavour in these cookies.
Only bake the cookies until the edges are barely browned and the centre is still very light. While they may look more pale than other cookies, they can over-bake quickly! So remove them from the oven when you first see that touch of golden brown forming around the sides to ensure you have a tender, buttery cookie!