Raspberry American Pancakes
Delicious fluffy pancakes. Those workhorses of the Great American Breakfast. They can be served with Maple Syrup and Streaky Bacon, obvs. BUT if you’re looking for something a little more delicate, then have a go at this slightly more genteel version. We’ve modified a recipe, from the wonderful Nigella, to use Raspberry flavours. NB it works fantastically well with Lemon and Blueberry as well
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon The Sugar Tree Raspberry caster sugar
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 30 grams butter (melted and cooled)
- 300 millilitres milk
- 225 grams plain flour
- butter for frying
- 40 grams The Sugar Tree Raspberry icing sugar
- Fresh Raspberries to garnish
- According to the Goddess Nigella, the easiest way to make these is to put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz. But if you do mix up the batter by hand in a bowl, make a well in the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, beat in the eggs, melted butter and milk
- Transfer the batter to a Ziplock bag and seal
- Heat a smooth griddle or pan on the stove
- Cut a small hole in the corner of the Ziplock bag and use to pipe the pancakes onto the pan
- When you cook the pancakes, all you need to remember is that when the upper side of the pancake is blistering and bubbling it's time to cook the second side, and this needs only about 1 minute, if that.
- Nigella gets about 16 silver-dollar-sized pancakes out of this, but if you like bigger ones (who wouldn't?) then use more batter per pancake
- Sprinkle with Raspberry icing sugar and dot with fresh Raspberries
- Eat and then make more
Tips & Tricks:
As with most flour-based goods, the less time you spend working the flour, the more tender the eventual result will be, so whizz or mix these pancakes until they are just incorporated to get the best results.
Stock up the Pantry:
Variations on a Theme:
You can change the flavour of these delicious pancakes to almost any of the flavours we produce, simply by incorporating our flavoured sugars and icing sugars into the recipe. If you’d like to see what we have to offer, take a look here. Perhaps the only products we wouldn’t recommend for these pancakes are our Chilli sugars and syrups, but hey, who are we to oppress your creativity?!
If you’d like to see the original recipe, here you go.