White Chocolate Chilli Cupcakes… yes please!
While you may be skeptical of these cupcakes, hesitate no more! The rich white chocolate cake pairs perfectly with the chilli sugar sprinkled icing giving you the most amazing sweet and spicy combination. This is the perfect dessert to surprise your guests by giving them a new and delicious flavor profile that they may never have thought of. These cupcakes also look beautiful (and oh so innocent until you take one bit of the chilli frosting!) and are fairly simple to make. Get out your mixers and cupcake liners because it’s time to try this recipe!
- White Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup The Sugar Tree White Chocolate sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup The Sugar Tree Chilli sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To make the Cupcakes:
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and white chocolate sugar until the mix is very light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl several times to ensure all the butter is getting nicely whipped with the sugar.
- Add the eggs to the mixer, one at a time, allowing the batter to fully mix after each egg.
- Add the vanilla to the bowl and mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl again.
- Add the all purpose flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl and turn the mixer on low until the flour is just incorporated.
- Add the milk to the bowl and mix again on low speed until a smooth batter forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again to ensure the batter is smooth.
- Line a cupcake tray with paper cupcake liners and scoop the batter into each cup, filling it about 3/4 of the way to the top.
- Bake the white chocolate cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes in a 350 ̊F oven. The tops of the cupcakes should just barely be turning golden brown.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan while you make the frosting.
- To make the Frosting:
- Begin the frosting by whisking the flour into the whole milk in a small saucepan.
- Bring the milk to a boil, whisking constantly and allow to simmer until the milk begins to thicken. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, chili sugar and vanilla together until very white and fluffy.
- Pour the milk and flour mix into the bowl and mix well.
- Use a pastry bag fitted with a star tip to pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with extra chili sugar and serve!
If you would prefer a very white looking cake, replace the whole eggs with 4 egg whites. This will make a “traditional” white cake where there are no yolks added. The cake will bake very white and still be delicious!
Wait until you are about to serve the cupcakes before sprinkling the chilli sugar garnish on top of the icing. This last minute addition will make the cupcakes look nice and fresh!
Substitute the white chocolate sugar in the recipe for our Belgian chocolate sugar to make a super tasty milk chocolate chilli cake.